Sour Cream Cornbread

The birth of this recipe first started with a craving for chili.  I happen to think I make fairly awesome chili, so I made a big Crock-Pot full today.  (Gotta love food that cooks while you do other things, no?)  Anyway, I know my dear hubby loves cornbread, so I decided I'd surprise him and make some to go with the chili.  I'm not a fan of dry, scone-like cornbread, so this recipe does not produce that kind of result.  What you will get is a pan of moist, dense, slightly sweet cornbread that goes very well with chili :)

Ingredients


3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup pancake mix (not the just-add-water type)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons veg oil

You can also add one can of diced green chilis, drained, or 1/2 cup chopped red pepper, or 1/2 cup shredded cheese, or a combination of these!

Directions

1.In a bowl, combine dry ingredients; mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. round or square baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Bread (known as challah, houska or chalka)