Tis the season.
Squash is plentiful AND a good price!
But after a while you need something different to do with it.
I was inspired by the shape.
- Cut off the neck of the squash which will result in 1 pc being long and narrow and one looking much like a bowl of seeds
- Remove the seeds, wash and leave to dry on a paper towel
- Wash the "bowl shaped" piece, turn upside down and put in the microwave for 5 minutes
- Now take the narrow piece and slice into round thick steaks (I left the skin ON)
- Rub in your favourite oil (I used vegetable oil but flavoured oils would be really yummy too)
- Place on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and black pepper
- Bake the slices for about 10 minutes (you'll hear the oil sizzling) and flip them over for about 20 minutes then turn over one more time for another 10 minutes at about 350+
- In a large dutch oven, cook up 2 lbs of ground beef, pork, chicken or turkey with some onion, green pepper, and a can of corn.
- When it is finished cooking, add 1/2 a 1L of vegetable cocktail (or tomato juice)
- Stir well and heat.
- Now go back and grab your partly cooked squash bowl and set in a freezer container larger
- Now throw 4-6 potatoes in the microwave (poke first to cook faster)
- Place the steaks on dinner plates
- Cover the steaks with the burger mixture
- Fill the squash bowl with the rest of the mixture
- Now add some mashed potatoes to the plates and serve.
**Apple sauce is a nice side dish with this!
- After dinner go grab those potatoes out of the microwave and dice them into large cubes
- Any steaks leftover? Remove the skin and dice them up with the potatoes
**diced carrots is a good addition too
- Throw the leftover squash and diced potatoes around the squash in the freezer container
- pour the other 1/2 of the vegetable juice over the potatoes and refrigerate or freeze for another night
1) a large butternut squash
2) vegetable oil
3) Italian seasoning
4) black pepper
5) 2lbs of ground meat
6) mashed potatoes
7) 4-6 potaoes
9) green peppers
10) 1L of vegetable juice or tomato juice
11) can or corn kernels (or equivalent amount in frozen corn