I love serving homemade food.
This recipe I mixed IN MY BREADMAKER,
but baked in a conventional oven.
My first attempt with this recipe, the dough was very dry, but the second batch I used the following recipe
and the dough was perfect.
- 4 level cups flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar/honey
- 1/2 tbsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
Pour into breadmaker if you are using NOW.
in a measuring cup:
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. vinegar (I used cider)
Combine in your bowl
or pour into an already started QUICKDOUGH setting (6 minutes)
- Heat oven to 400.
- Pour dough out onto a VERY LIGHTLY floured surface.
- Cut dough in 1/2.
- Knead each ball gently for 2 minutes (no need to overdo it).
- Shape into round ball about 1 1/2 inches high.
- With a sharp knife make an X in the top of the dough.
- Bake 40 minutes.
When you take it out,
while it is still hot,
glaze with melted butter.
**This will not only flavour it but soften the crust.
The large loaf is the first batch.
It rose fine but was not nearly as big
and quite a bit dry
(tea biscuit consistency)