As I could not find this premade, I followed this easy recipe.
In a pan heat:
1/4 cup of oil
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup chili powder (I used Pam's homemade blend on this site)
Stir constantly until it is thick (a rue). Reduce heat to medium.
1 1/2 cups of water
8oz can of tomato sauce
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder (I used flakes)
salt to taste.
Cook mixture, stirring often over medium heat for 10 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare a 9x12 rectangular baking pan.
**As I use a pampered chef pan I do not have to grease
but if using a cake pan or corning ware, grease and set aside.
2 large peppers (red and green) cut up into the size you prefer
1 large onion cut up into the size you prefer
2 tbsp oil
1 fresh jalepeno (optional) seeded and chopped
2 cups of diced cooked chicken
3 tbsp taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
2 10oz cans enchilada sauce (or the amount in recipe above)
1 cup green onion chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (four cheese blend if available)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups crushed doritos
4-6 cups of your favourite pasta (cooked al dente)
NOTE: if you use oversize shells you can stuff the meat mixture in them which would make great appetizers at a party.
**In cooking, al dente describes pasta and (less commonly) rice or beans that have been cooked so as to be firm but not hard.
- In a large skillet heat oil and sautee the peppers and onion.
- Add chicken and jalepeno and heat thoroughly.
- Stir in taco seasoning, refried beans and 1/2 of the enchilada sauce.
- Turn off heat.
- Mix in 1/2 of the green onions and 1/2 of the shredded cheese and the sour cream.
- In baking dish, pour about 1 cup of the reserved enchilada sauce on the bottom.
- Layer 1/2 the cooked pasta, 1/2 the meat and vegetable mix and repeat.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered.
- Uncover and drizzle with any leftover sauce and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake again until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with crushed chips and the other 1/2 of the green onions.
This casserole is massive. It will feed 8-10 people! Smells amazing. Good pick Judy.