Prep time is fast as there is placing in crock pot and letting it do the work!
3 cups carrot ( I used 2 of carrot and 2 of parsnip)
3 cups celery or swiss chard (or 1/2 and 1/2)
2 onions cut in rings
1 boneless skinless breast chicken (2 thighs each I think a turkey breast would be good here too)
1 can of cream of ? (your choice) soup undiluted
NOTE: I had none so I used 1 cup of milk instead
1 envelope of onion soup mix (I used beef)
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp tarragon
NOTE: I had no tarragon so I substituted 2 tsp Italian spice
1 tsp pepper
2tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup wine or broth
- Place all 4 of the first items in bottom of crock pot.
- Mix the next 5 items in a bowl and then pour into crock pot too.
- I topped this crock pot off with 1/2 bunch of snipped fresh spinach*****
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- NOTE: I ALWAYS start on high if I am home and turn down after the first hour.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir well.
- NOTE: I used a gravy mix instead.
- Cook for another 1/2 hour or until thickened.
- Serve whole chicken pieces with rice or noodles on the side.
- Remove chicken pieces and dice and throw into a large serving bowl.
- Mix 2 cups of cooked rice (3 is too much - not enough sauce) or 4 servings of noodles with contents of crock pot. Toss.
NOTE: This way would make it great on a buffet table.
We served with warm bread.
This was a prize winner (Taste of Home) apparently.