Saucy chicken with veggies and rice

So, I am trying to increase the number of veggies we are eating and proportionately decrease the total amount of meat John and Judy eat. We are all very good eaters and I do not doubt they are actually hungry when they sit down, but John's inclination is potatoes and meat and bread. Judy is learning this bad habit. So any chance I get, I "hide" extra veggies in recipes. So if the recipe says 2 cups carrot diced, I will add 1 1/2 of carrot and 1 1/2 of parsnip! also, finely chopped spinach looks like a seasoning! I have completely omitted salt from any recipe as John adds salt and pepper before he even tastes a dish. I am encouraging them to give me feedback BEFORE they eat now, how does it smell?, taste before seasoning, and comment during dinner so I can pass it on to you fellow recipiers. (yes Staci, I made that word up, hahahaha)






Prep time is fast as there is placing in crock pot and letting it do the work!

3 cups carrot ( I used 2 of carrot and 2 of parsnip)
3 cups celery or swiss chard (or 1/2 and 1/2)
2 onions cut in rings
1 boneless skinless breast chicken (2 thighs each I think a turkey breast would be good here too)

1 can of cream of ? (your choice) soup undiluted
NOTE: I had none so I used 1 cup of milk instead
1 envelope of onion soup mix (I used beef)
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp tarragon
NOTE: I had no tarragon so I substituted 2 tsp Italian spice
1 tsp pepper

2tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup wine or broth


  • Place all 4 of the first items in bottom of crock pot.
  • Mix the next 5 items in a bowl and then pour into crock pot too.
  • I topped this crock pot off with 1/2 bunch of snipped fresh spinach*****
  • Cook on low for 4-5 hours. 
  • NOTE: I ALWAYS start on high if I am home and turn down after the first hour.
  • Add the cornstarch mixture and stir well.
  • NOTE: I used a gravy mix instead.
  • Cook for another 1/2 hour or until thickened.
  • Serve whole chicken pieces with rice or noodles on the side.

OR

  • Remove chicken pieces and dice and throw into a large serving bowl.
  • Mix 2 cups of cooked rice (3 is too much - not enough sauce) or 4 servings of noodles with contents of crock pot. Toss.
    NOTE: This way would make it great on a buffet table.

We served with warm bread.


This was a prize winner (Taste of Home) apparently.

"BON APPETIT!"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna