- Portion size: 12 slices
Bananas help reduce the amount of fat needed both to make this loaf and keep it moist. Let bananas ripen fully, even to the brown-skin stage, for ultimate flavour.
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) mashed bananas, about 3
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cherries or raisins (I used walnuts)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
PreparationIn large bowl, whisk together rolled oats, all-purpose and whole wheat flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
In separate bowl, whisk together egg, bananas, oil and vanilla; pour over dry ingredients. Sprinkle with cherries; stir just until moistened. Scrape into parchment paper-lined 9- x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan; smooth top.
Topping: Sprinkle with rolled oats. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on rack.