Chicken and Sage Dumplings



1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces I made a roast chicken a couple of days ago so I had lots of prepared meat to use
5 1/4 cups Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons) I made my own broth from the carcass of the roast chicken
2 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves I had no thyme, fresh or dried, so I just started sniffing spices until I found one that I thought would suit the recipe.  Don't laugh.  I used a couple of spoonfuls of foccacia seasoning from Epicure
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables  I used 2 diced potatoes, 2 stalks of celery diced and 1 really large carrot diced as well as 1 cup of frozen peas
3 cups Bisquick Heart Smart® mix  I used regular Bisquick
1 cup buttermilk I used regular milk
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

In large Dutch oven, stir together chicken, broth, water, onion, sage, thyme, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add frozen vegetables. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, buttermilk, poultry seasoning and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper until blended. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into boiling mixture in Dutch oven. (Don't let dumplings touch.) Reduce heat to medium-low; cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking. Cover; cook 10 minutes longer. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

Makes 8 servings
Just one more time that I took a perfectly good recipe and made it mine . . . LOL.  The original recipe came from bettycrocker.com  Hal loved it so much he kept grasping my forearm across the table and sighing.  It was hysterical.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna