These are great to make for a casual dinner with some buddies because you basically toss everything in the Crock-Pot and forget about it for about 7 hours. It's only at the end that there's a few little steps but nothing too taxing!!
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
2 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7- to 11-oz can) ** I left this out because some guests cannot tolerate spicy food, but if I were making it for my family I'd include them because they impart a nice spicy, smoky flavour** You can also just serve the burritos with hot sauce on the side
1 heaping tablespoon ground cumin
1 cup salsa, heat level to taste (I used medium)
12 flour tortillas (10 inch)
shredded cheese of choice (I used old Cheddar, but Monterey Jack would be awesome too)
Other topping options: sliced olives, chopped cilantro, diced tomato, pickled jalapenos
1. In slow cooker, place in this order: beans, chicken thighs, seasonings, salsa.
2. Cover; cook on Low setting 7 to 8 hours. (Can also be cooked on high for around 5-6 hours if you are short on time)
3. About 15 minutes before you want to serve, heat oven to 350°F. Wrap tortillas in foil; heat in oven about 15 minutes or until warm.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker. With fork or potato masher, mash beans slightly to thicken sauce. Shred chicken with a fork and return to slow cooker. Mix with bean mixture to moisten. ** Before you do this, it will look like there is way too much liquid in the crock. There isn't. Just follow the steps and the chicken will absorb the sauce.
5. Have guests place warm tortilla on serving plate. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture onto tortilla; top with desired toppings. Fold sides of tortilla over filling,