Well, I have finally had the time to try and few new recipes. I did not have the time to really sit and study the book so I just opened it up and found a recipe I like on the page. My recipes are Saucy Cauliflower, David's Favourite Casserole and Sesame Sun Refrigerator Cookies.

The book I am using this month is Whole Foods for the Whole Family from La Leche League International.

Here we go:

Saucy Cauliflower

1 whole head cauliflower, steamed
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup white sauce (2 T butter, 2 T flour, 1 cup milk)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 T. melted butter.

Place cauliflower in greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Stir cheese into white sauce; poor over cauliflower. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes six servings.

David's (don't ask who is he is, it is the just the name in the book) Favourite Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cups tomatoe sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
8 oz noodles cooked
2 cups sliced carrots, cooked
1 cup yogurt
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup parsley
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Brown ground beef with onions in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Simmer for 5 minutes. Combine noodles, carrots, yogurt, cottage cheese, and parsley in a bowl; mix well. Layer beef mixture and noodles mixture 1/4 at ta time in a 2.5 quart casserole. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. My substitute sour cream for yogurt. The dish freezes well. Yield six servings.


Sesame Sun cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cups wheat germ
1/2 baking soda
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup sesame seeds

Cream butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla in a mixer bowl. Mix dry ingredients together. Add to creamed mixture with seeds; mix well. Shape into 2 roils about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper. Place in fridge for 4 hours or in the freezer for 2 hours. Slice 1/4 inch thick; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool on wire rack. Double this recipe and freeze 2 rolls to bake later or give to a friend. Yield 48 servings.


Everyone liked the cauliflower, but who doesn't like a veggie with a cheese sauce.

Much to my suprise they all like the casserole. I liked it taste wise, but I really should have given it a better read before I made it. Left over carrots and pasta would have really cut down on the prep time. I did steam my caulifower over that pasta pot so that saved time. I am sure I would make it again.

The cookies only recieved four out of five stars. Kenny did not like them. They are not really sweet but very nutty tasting. I would make these again.


On a side note; I picked up the groceries last night and could not find the sunflower seeds.....I asked a you gentleman who was working there if he knew where they where...........there in the floral section........*LOL* Go to the bulk store if you are looking for sunflower seeds.

That is it for me.....

Pam

Comments

  1. Yeah, Pam. I especially like the sounds of the casserole. I think I will definitely be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always buy my sunflower seeds at the $ store, in hte candy aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally had the chance to try the Saucy Cauliflower recipes and it was a true hit . . . looked nice and tasted better. Served it with meat loaf and scalloped potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna