Apple Galette


I had some leftover homemade applesauce. I wanted to make something creative and found a recipe for an apple galette (which means flat cake). I do not make a good pastry, never have...thats John's job! I went ahead and tried it anyway..... original recipe taken from Country Woman Sept/Oct 2006 pg 51.

The crust:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup of cold butter
2 tbsp of shortening
5-7 tbsp of cold water

Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water tossing with fork until a dough ball forms.

***To eliminate my usual errors, I used my breadmaker to make the dough...very successful. I started with the liquids and butter and added the rest of the items and let the machine mix it till dough ball formed! Roll out on floured surface, into a semi round shape...perfection is not necessary! When it is a thickness you are happy with (not too thin), transfer onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

Next...glaze!

1/2 cup apricot jam (I used apple jelly)
3 tbsp orange marmalade (I used plum sauce)
4 1/2 tsp water

Heat above 3 items on stove until melted and of medium thickness and drizzle 3/4 of the glaze onto dough keeping about 2" away from the edge.

Next...filling!

6 med peeled and chopped apples
1/2 cup currants or raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter

** I used about 2 1/2 cups of homemade chunky applesauce, which is pretty much what they are making!

Combine items and pour into center of pastry. Fold up approx 2" of pastry around eges leaving the center of the "pie" open.

NOW....

beat 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp of water and brush your pastry.

Bak at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until the crust is golden and filling is bubbly.

Slide galette onto wire rack to cool. Brush reserved glaze over filling.

Serve with ice cream.
Yields 10-12 servings.
MMMMMMM good!
This was lovely, but if any of the filling gets out on the pan, you will have burnt bits around the edge...thank goodness I baked it on paper. Messy cleanup, so make sure your paper extends the full length of your pan.

"Bon Appetit!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna