Monday, August 31, 2009

Country Casserole

Another of John's picks....It looks lovely and smells delicious. Children who like cream corn will love this one, there is some in every bite.

365 Quick, Easy & Inexpensive Dinner Menus
Penny E. Stone
page 229

2 1/2 cups cooked cubed chicken/turkey 1/2lb of bacon diced
2 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1 can creamed corn (I used a large can)
2 cups frozen green beans
2 cups frozen sweet peas
1 cup chopped celery
1 large onion chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
2 tsp salt
2 cup cubed marble cheese

Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel.
Reserve 3 tbsp of bacon grease in frying pan.
Add onion and celery to fry pan and saute until tender on medium heat.
Stir in flour and make a paste.
Gradually stir in milk to make a gravy.
Add seasonings and mix well.
In a large casserole dish combine chicken, beans, corn and peas.
note: I added the bacon here (oops!)
Place the cheese in the dish.
Pour the gravy over the top.
Crumble bacon on top.
Bake at 350 for 25- 35 minutes.

note: I think there should be 1 1/2 -2 tsp of Italian seasoning instead. The flavour is very mild. This recipe also needs biscuits, there is lots of gravy to sop up!

Personally I think this would be a really nice cold weather meal (like after toboganning!) I would also do it in a crock pot not a casserole dish.

Serve over rice, noodles or potatoes.
(we had boiled red potato cubes!)

"Bon Appetit!"

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of cream corn. Deb sent home a dish of this casserole for me to put in the freezer for Hal. Ooooops . . . it smelled so good that I ate it myself. And it tasted as good as it smelled.

    ReplyDelete