Child Labour in the Kitchen Produces Tasty Results


Hello, fellow foodlovers!

I realize this post doesn't exactly fit the mandate of the blog, but I had to share. Thanks for letting me slip it in here :)

I have a confession to make: Today, I resorted to child labour in the kitchen. That's right, I used my just shy of two-year-old daughter to help me make muffins today. OK, so it wasn't quite like that. My goal was to get her involved in the kitchen young, to teach her motor skills, life skills, to be proud of what she has made and, most of all, to spend quality time with me.

The verdict: It worked. She put the paper liners in the muffin tin, she dumped all of the (pre-measured by me) ingredients, and she did the (preliminary, at least) stirring. I then dumped the whole tasty mess into their expertly lined tins, and we waited. An excruciating 20 minutes later, our noses (and the timer) lead us back to the oven to retrieve the warm little babies from the oven.

We done good. The muffins turned out just lovely. My daughter ate 2 right when they were done, and as I am typing this she has just finished off another as dessert to her meatball sub and oven fries (which she also helped to make). She had a great time in the kitchen today and, truthfully, so did I.

I think I've created The Next Food Network Star...and I kinda like it :) We made some great memories today, and we can wash them down with some very tasty muffins.

If anyone else out there wants to try this recipe, here it is:

Cat’s Own Applesauce Muffins

1 1/2 Cups of Unsweetened Applesauce (either store bought or homemade is fine)

1 cup white sugar (reduce if using sweetened apple sauce)

1 slightly beaten egg

1/3 cup melted margarine or butter

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix the applesauce, sugar, egg and margarine together. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients all together. Pour into greased muffin tins, and bake in 350 degrees oven for approximately 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Source: http://www.catcancook.com/applesauce-muffins/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna