Cereal Jumbles

I was invited to a cookie swap at Annie's last week. Am I ever glad I went. I received some really delicious cookies.

But what to make? I had to get out one of my old cookbooks and come up with a sure-fire cookie recipe. What better way to remember which recipes are best than to look for the pages with the most spills on them . . . LOL . . .

And that's how I chose this recipe . . .

Cereal Jumbles
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 well-beaten egg
1-1/2 tbsp milk
1 cup sifted enriched flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup finely cut dates
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flakes**

** I went to 3 different stores and could not find any wheat flake cereal. I ended up using Presidents Choice On Track cereal. It was a good decision. And I've been really enjoying eating the leftover cereal. **

Cream shortening; add sugar gradually, and blend. Add egg and milk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture. Add vanilla, dates, and nuts. Crush cereal flakes slightly. Drop cookie dough from teaspoon into crushed cereal flakes and roll so that balls of dough are entirely coated. Top with nut meat halves, if desired. Place about 3" apart on greased heavy baking sheet. Bake in hot over (400F) about 12 minutes. Makes 2-3 dozen.

Yummy!!!!!

Note: The next time I made these cookies I was in a rush and just dumped the cereal into the cookie dough. Tasted just as good and a lot less work.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna